Sharp-shinned Hawk

Sharp-shinned Hawk
Sharp-shinned Hawk, by Steve Thornhill

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Monarch Migration Program





 Monarch migration and Monarch tagging is underway on the eastern shore of Virginia. As of 11/10, I have tagged 415 Monarchs for their migration to Mexico. Most have been tagged in Kiptopeke State Park, with a few being tagged in the Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge. In these locations, Monarchs have been feeding on narrowleaf sunflowers, blue mistflower, and goldenrod species. The best location for tagging and finding Monarchs has been in Kiptopeke State Park within the Sunday Fields. Unfortunately, the Sunday Fields are also home to Monarch predators, I have seen four praying mantis’s feeding on Monarchs, one which was tagged previously that day. I only have a couple weeks left in my two months stay here on the Eastern Shore and I hope to see and tag many more Monarchs!

Allison Sheldon

CVWO Monarch Biologist